More on Carbon Monoxide detectors

More on Carbon Monoxide detectors

It constantly amazes me how many times I raise an issue and then a day or two later something pops up in the news.

In a post on September 20, I wrote that I was arranging to install carbon monoxide detectors in my home and that of my son due to the risk where you have gas fire places, ovens, central heating etc.

Today, I read that carbon monoxide poisoning killed young sailor Nicholas Banfield, but an inexpensive detector could have saved his life.

One Friday night in July 2016, Nicholas, 23, took his girlfriend out on his yacht on Sydney Harbour. On Sunday, she called her family confused and unsure where she was.

Police and friends launched a search. When police found the gas stove in the “on” position, they realised it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have done this myself as I am far from a good cook and we have a claim at the moment where the chef in a newly opened restaurant did the same thing.

The issue is you cannot see, smell or taste carbon monoxide, a gas formed from burning fuel. Generators, boat engines and some cooking appliances and heaters can produce it.

In an enclosed space or with poor airflow, it can kill.

While the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning in industrial settings is well known, some experts are concerned the risks in recreational vehicles and boats has been overlooked.

There have now been multiple coroners’ calls for mandatory carbon monoxide alarms

The coroner who investigated found a carbon monoxide alarm, which, if you do not know looks and acts like a smoke alarm but is a different unit and can cost as little as $50. In the case of this sailor is it believed it, would have saved his life.

I became aware of the issue through a US renovation show called “This Old House”. The plumbing expert nearly lost his own daughter and grandchildren through a carbon monoxide leak and he gave an impassioned plea for everyone to put them in all bedrooms and living rooms. I am working on this but have to date been let down by my electrician but that is a story for another day.

Please think about this in your own home, flat, caravan, RV or boat.

In the meantime please also consider:

  • Use accredited professionals to install gas appliances and service them every 2 years to ensure that you have no gas leaks;
  • Never tamper with air vents on gas heaters;
  • Never use external gas heaters in enclosed areas;
  • Learn how to recognise CO poisoning; and of course
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*