Guest Post by Andrew Nock Valuers on Combustible Wall Cladding
I saw this interesting article by Andrew Nock Valuers which I thought I would share:
The Victorian Building Association (VBA) will conduct an audit of 170 buildings because of the fire at the Lacrosse Apartments in Melbourne in November 2014. The fire was started by a cigarette on the 8th floor however it was the combustible wall cladding that further fuelled the fire to reach the 21st floor causing damages of approximately $2 million.
Combustible building cladding has also been discovered at the Royal Freemasons property in Prahran and at an aged care facility in Melbourne. The discovery of this non-compliant cladding is now becoming a common occurrence, particularly in Melbourne.
“Poor building product compliance is a major issue in Australia, with evidence showing that the market penetration of non-conforming products in key construction product sectors may be up to 50 per cent. A recent survey by the Australian Industry Group found that 92 per cent of builders surveyed had been offered faulty materials or products to buy” – Architecture and Design website
The cladding has been found to be imported from China and not tested to Australian standards.
A senate enquiry will also examine the impact these products will have on consumers as their insurance costs could be affected.
This product will not be detected by a valuer during an inspection. Insurance brokers and their clients need to be vigilant and to find out if any of this external cladding has been installed in any recent building works.
“…the system is clearly failing and Australia has become a dumping ground for some of the world’s dodgiest and most dangerous building products” – Senator Nick Xenophon
You can also find this on our website
Click the links below to read more:
Ph: 02 9262 1533
Address: Level 4, Barrack Street, Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 4493, Sydney NSW 2001